MEDROL DOSEPAK (MEDROL) INDICATIONS
Medrol Dosepak, a corticosteroid drug, is used to reduce inflammation and improve symptoms in a variety of disorders, including rheumatoid arthritis, acute gouty arthritis, and severe cases of asthma. It works by modifying the body's immune response to various conditions and decreasing inflammation. Medrol Dosepak may be given to people to treat primary or secondary adrenal cortex insufficiency (inability of the adrenal gland to produce sufficient hormone). It is also given to help treat the following disorders:
- Severe allergic conditions (including drug-induced allergic states)
- Blood disorders (leukemia and various anemias)
- Certain cancers (along with other drugs)
- Skin diseases (including severe psoriasis)
- Connective tissue diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus
- Digestive tract diseases such as ulcerative colitis
- High serum levels of calcium associated with cancer
- Fluid retention due to nephrotic syndrome (a condition in which damage to the kidney causes loss of protein in urine)
- Various eye diseases
- Lung diseases such as tuberculosis
- Worsening of multiple sclerosis.
MEDROL DOSEPAK (MEDROL) INSTRUCTIONS
Use Medrol Dosepak as directed by your doctor!
- Take Medrol Dosepak by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Medrol Dosepak is in a dosage pack. Follow the directions on the pack for taking Medrol Dosepak unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Medrol Dosepak, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Medrol Dosepak.
MEDROL DOSEPAK (MEDROL) STORAGE
Store Medrol Dosepak at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Medrol Dosepak out of the reach of children and away from pets.
MEDROL DOSEPAK (MEDROL) MORE INFO:
Active Ingredient: methylprednisolone.
Do NOT use Medrol Dosepak if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Medrol Dosepak
- you are presently taking mifepristone
- you have a systemic fungal infection
- you are scheduled to have a smallpox vaccine.
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Some medical conditions may interact with Medrol Dosepak. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure), heart attack, high blood pressure, kidney problems, liver problems, diabetes, seizures, an underactive thyroid, adrenal gland problems, or any mental or mood problems
- if you have or have recently had a fungal, bacterial, viral, or other type of infection; herpes infection of the eye; chickenpox; measles; or shingles
- if you have HIV or tuberculosis (TB), or if you have ever had a positive TB skin test
- if you have any stomach problems (eg, ulcers), intestinal problems (eg, blockage, perforation, infection, unexplained diarrhea, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis), recent intestinal surgery, or inflammation of the esophagus
- if you have weak bones (eg, osteoporosis) or muscle problems (eg, myasthenia gravis)
- if you have had any recent vaccinations (eg, smallpox).
Some medicines may interact with Medrol Dosepak. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), lithium, or rifampin because they may decrease Medrol Dosepak's effectiveness
- Aprepitant, clarithromycin, cyclosporine, diltiazem, erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, or troleandomycin because side effects, such as adrenal gland or nervous system problems, may occur
- Aspirin, live vaccines, mifepristone, or ritodrine because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Medrol Dosepak.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Medrol Dosepak may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
Important safety information:
- Medrol Dosepak may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does.
- Medrol Dosepak may cause serious increases in blood pressure, salt and water retention, and increased potassium loss. Dietary salt restriction and potassium supplements may be necessary.
- Medrol Dosepak may cause calcium loss and can promote the development of osteoporosis (brittle bones). Take adequate calcium and vitamin D supplements.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Medrol Dosepak before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Medrol Dosepak may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine.
- Lab tests, such as adrenal function tests or blood pressure monitoring, may be performed while you use Medrol Dosepak. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in children and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Medrol Dosepak.
- Medrol Dosepak should be used with extreme caution in children; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Medrol Dosepak while you are pregnant. It is not known if Medrol Dosepak is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Medrol Dosepak, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
If you suddenly stop taking Medrol Dosepak, you may experience withdrawal symptoms, including unbalanced hormones (in both men and women).
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects.
Check with your doctor if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; facial flushing; feeling of whirling motion; headache; increased sweating.
Seek medical attention right away if any of these severe side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody, black, or tarry stools; changes in body fat; changes in menstrual period; chest pain; fainting; fever, chills, or sore throat; increased hunger, thirst, or urination; mental or mood changes; muscle pain, weakness, or wasting; seizures; severe nausea or vomiting; slow wound healing; stomach pain; sudden, severe dizziness or headache; swelling of the feet or legs; tendon, bone, or joint pain; thinning of the skin; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual skin sensation; unusual weight gain; vision changes or other eye problems; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider.